Learn strategies for creating meaningful and effective PowerPoint presentations.
1-5 hours. The time it takes will vary depending on the content, however, the process should not be rushed. Take the time to create a quality presentation that you can be proud of.
Core Competency Connection
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Internet access
Step 1: Outline content
- Outline your content. Decide on a working title and your main takeaways. Your title should be specific and convey what your presentation will be about. Coming up with a list of main takeaways will help give your presentation structure.
Step 2: Formulate a narrative
- Formulate your content as a narrative, if possible. This will make your presentation more compelling. Stories appeal to our emotional side in a way that facts and figures can’t and will help you to relate to your audience and keep them engaged.
Step 3: Data and examples
- Collect relevant data and examples. Present it in ways that are easy to understand, such as charts and graphs.
Step 4: Pick a theme
- Pick a colour scheme and design your slide background. Less is more! You want to avoid your design distracting from your presentation message.
Step 5: Create a skeleton
- Format your content for maximum impact. First, create a skeleton that includes titles and headers, a few small pieces of information, details you want to remember, and one or two images you’re going to use.
Step 6: Engage your audience
Start with a strong opening. Having an impactful opening helps ensure that your first impression is a good one. Starting with a question, a poll, or a story can be a good way to engage your audience immediately.
Step 7: Concise & to the point
- Fill in the text on your slides using concise language. Your slides should be used to support your speech, not replace it. Keep any text on your slides brief and concise. Long sentences will cause your audience to read the slides rather than listening to you.
Step 8: Start strong, end strong
- End with a strong, take-home message. Leave your audience with something they’ll remember, something that will make them think, maybe even mobilize.
Tips & Tricks
- Learning how to give effective and engaging presentations can help you succeed in your professional life (closing deals or receiving contracts, etc.).
- Keep a content document for easy editing.
- Using two different fonts for your headers and body text can add interest to your presentation. Choosing the right fonts can really help convey your presentation’s theme.
NextTesting For Success
Leave a Reply