Make sure learners get a proper introduction to their textbooks.
It will take around 30–60 minutes to create the learner activity sheet.
1 class of Humans
Core Competency Connection
- Learners will need to bring their textbooks
- Learner activity sheet
Design your Activity Sheet:
• The steps on the back will help you.
• This activity sheet will be different for every textbook, so make sure to create one for each book.
Step 1: Do your research
- Review your course textbook, noting helpful organizational tools and formatting located within the text.
- These might include the table of contents, chapter introductions and summaries, headings and subheadings, and review questions—whatever will help learners navigate the text and identify the most relevant information quickly and easily.
Step 2: Textbook scavenger hunt
- Create an activity sheet for learners (individuals or small groups) to interact with their textbooks and locate/identify the tools and formatting listed above.
- If you have questions about creating an effective activity sheet, stop by the Learning Café.
Step 3: How did I do?
If desired, create an answer sheet so learners can check their work.
Step 4: Ready for launch
- Have your learners complete this activity.
- Make sure to make note of how you can improve it in the future.
Complete this activity early in the term to encourage learner engagement with course material. When debriefing, emphasize to learners which portions of the text are most valuable to use and why.